About This Blog

Come one, come all. Take a gander at our excursions whether great or small. Add in your two cents and you may be surprised what you get in return! Uhh...probably nothing but a good laugh.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Grab 'n Go Bars

I cam across this recipe for granola bars. I made it "by the book" but next time I think I'll make a few changes. Here it is:
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup reduced fat peanut butter
3 cups Post Shredded Wheat Cereal, crushed
3/4 cup raisins

Mix sugar, honey, and peanut butter in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Add cereal and raisins. Mix well. Press into 8x8inch grased pan. Cool and cut into bars. Store in airtight containter.

So I think I'll add 1/2 the brown sugar (1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup) and find a substitute for the peanut butter. I like peanut butter but maybe not in every granola bar. Variety is the spice of life, ya know? Maybe I'll cut out the peanut butter and put in a little more honey--maybe molasses, but that taste is so strong it would just have to be a little bit. Instead of the cereal I'm thinking I could use oatmeal. My only hang-up with that is they aren't cooked and even quick-rolled-oats need to be cooked for a short amount of time, right? Then you could add whatever else you want: nuts, different dried fruits, sunflower seeds, etc.

So, anyway, Robert and I really like these.

No comments: